Property and Retirement Assets in Florida
Faculty Member: Ginger L. Dugan, Florida Family Lawyer
Facilitator: Diana Shepherd, CDFA®, Editorial Director and Co-Founder of Divorce Magazine
During a divorce, couples are required to go through the property division process, which includes determining what is separate property and what is marital property and how retirement benefits will be divided. In this podcast, family lawyer Ginger L. Dugan discusses the most frequently asked questions about property and retirement assets in Florida. More
Ginger L. Dugan, attorney at All Family Law Group, P.A., practices all areas of family law, including divorce, child custody, and modifications. With over 10 years of experience, Ginger has won awards and accolades in her field, and is a fierce advocate for her clients.
What you will learn from this podcast session: “Property and Retirement Assets in Florida”
This session will discuss:
- how real estate is divided in a divorce in Florida
- whether property owned by one spouse prior to the marriage is still considered separate property during divorce
- how furniture and household items get divided in Florida
- what happens to a spouse’s vehicle in a divorce
- how a spouse can get an item they really want during property division
- whether engagement and wedding rings are personal property or marital property in Florida
- the difference between marital and separate property in divorce
- how a pension is divided on divorce and what happens if the plan administrator says a pension can’t be divided
- how a pension is different from a 401(k) or an IRA
- how retirement assets are divided in Florida
- whether or not it matters if only one person worked during the marriage
- taxes associated with transferring retirement assets in a divorce.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.