Complex Issues in High-Asset Divorce Cases
Faculty Member: Sonya K. Zeigler, New Jersey Family Lawyer
Facilitator: Diana Shepherd, CDFA®, Editorial Director and Co-Founder of Divorce Magazine
When a lot of assets are at stake during a divorce, parties may be faced with having to handle complex issues — including dividing marital property and keeping financial information private. Whether you have a high net worth, a business, or own numerous assets, you will gain a deeper understanding of what to expect as you go through the divorce process. More
Sonya K. Zeigler is a partner at Stolfe Zeigler, a boutique family law firm that obtains favorable outcomes for high-net-worth, complex, and litigious cases. Sonya provides thoughtful advice and zealous representation to doctors, lawyers, other professionals, business owners, and their spouses who are going through a divorce involving property division, business valuation and cash-flow determination, and spousal support.
This session will discuss:
- whether private business records and private financial records become public records during a divorce in New Jersey
- how common financial misbehavior is during high-net-worth divorce cases
- the pitfalls someone should watch out for in the divorce process – particularly if there are a lot of assets at stake
- whether or not professional practices such as a dentist, doctor, chiropractor, etc. are considered assets of the marriage
- whether a non-business asset – such as a house, vacation property, or other real estate – that was inherited before marriage is still considered separate property
- how stock options, bonuses, etc. are treated in a divorce settlement
- how a financially inexperienced person can know if their spouse is being completely truthful in their financial disclosure.