Faculty Member: John K. Grubb, Family Law Attorney, MBA (accounting and finance)
Facilitator: Dan Couvrette, CEO and Publisher of Divorce Magazine, Family Lawyer Magazine, and DivorcedMoms.com
In 2015, the U.S. Supreme Court’s ruling in Obergfell v. Hodges ended up legalizing same-sex marriage nationwide. However, does same-sex divorce work the same way as heterosexual divorce in the U.S.? In this podcast, John K. Grubb discusses some of the issues same-sex couples may face during divorce and answers common questions couples may have. While Grubb focuses on Texas family law, this podcast will benefit any individual who is considering or going through a same-sex divorce. More
John K. Grubb is a Board-Certified Civil Trial Law Specialist, Texas Board of Legal Specialization, with an MBA in accounting and finance who has developed a leading law firm for high-asset divorce in Houston. He has received a number of accolades over his 30-plus year career, including the Martindale-Hubbell highest possible “AV” rating for both legal ability and ethical standards. John Grubb also has been rated as one of Houston’s Top Lawyers by H Texas Magazine.
This session will discuss:
- whether coming out as a lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender (LGBT) is a ground for divorce in Texas
- some of the special issues same-sex spouses may face that heterosexual couples in Texas do not
- whether or not civil unions or domestic partnerships are recognized in all states and can be dissolved
- how custody is decided when one spouse is the biological parent of a child born during the marriage
- whether or not a same-sex spouse can adopt the biological or adopted child of his or her spouse
- the property rights same-sex couples have
- the federal and state benefits available to same-sex legally married couples in the United States.