Facilitator: Diana Shepherd, CDFA®, Editorial Director and Co-Founder of Divorce Magazine
Divorce-related disputes can be settled through litigation or some form of alternative dispute resolution – such as mediation. Here’s some advice on choosing the right mediator, an explanation of how mediators work with high-conflict couples as well as those with very complex issues, and what you can do to prepare for divorce mediation. More
Marta J. Papa, a.k.a. the Divorce Whisperer®, is an experienced divorce lawyer and mediator who is considered a national authority on mediation. With more than 25 years of experience in mediation, litigation, and settlement negotiations, she has worked on about 8,000 litigated divorces and 4,000 mediated divorces.
What you will learn from this podcast session on “Litigation vs. Mediation: Which Should You Choose? Part 2”
This session will discuss:
- what qualifications couples should look for when choosing a mediator.
- whether it is possible to mediate some issues and litigate others – and whether there would be any advantages to doing so.
- how a mediator could work with a high-conflict couple – even if they can’t even stand to be in the same room with one another.
- using a mediator to resolve complex divorce issues.
- whether mediators who are also lawyers can provide legal advice.
- if it’s possible for a mediator to be completely neutral, or if he or she will take sides.
- how you can prepare for mediation, and how to prepare for litigation.
Before a couple can finalize their divorce, decisions must be made regarding child custody and support, alimony, assets, and any other divorce-related issues. Disputes can be settled through litigation or mediation, but a couple must first decide which process will work best for them. More
Before you begin the divorce process, it’s important to understand the various issues you may face and steps you need to take. While not all divorces can be amicable, considering the 10 things discussed in this podcast will allow you to go through a more civilized process. More
When going through a divorce, it may be beneficial to hire a Certified Divorce Coach who can help you figure out how to take more effective actions in moving forward through the divorce process. Pegotty Cooper discusses what a CDC is and the role they play in a divorce. More