Facilitator: Diana Shepherd, CDFA®, Editorial Director and Co-Founder of Divorce Magazine
When a lot of assets are at stake during a divorce, parties may be faced with having to handle complex issues — including dividing marital property and keeping financial information private. Whether you have a high net worth, a business, or own numerous assets, you will gain a deeper understanding of what to expect as you go through the divorce process. More
Sonya K. Zeigler is a partner at Stolfe Zeigler, a boutique family law firm that obtains favorable outcomes for high-net-worth, complex, and litigious cases. Sonya provides thoughtful advice and zealous representation to doctors, lawyers, other professionals, business owners, and their spouses who are going through a divorce involving property division, business valuation and cash-flow determination, and spousal support.
This session will discuss:
- whether private business records and private financial records become public records during a divorce in New Jersey
- how common financial misbehavior is during high-net-worth divorce cases
- the pitfalls someone should watch out for in the divorce process – particularly if there are a lot of assets at stake
- whether or not professional practices such as a dentist, doctor, chiropractor, etc. are considered assets of the marriage
- whether a non-business asset – such as a house, vacation property, or other real estate – that was inherited before marriage is still considered separate property
- how stock options, bonuses, etc. are treated in a divorce settlement
- how a financially inexperienced person can know if their spouse is being completely truthful in their financial disclosure.
This session looks at how an experienced lawyer can help business professionals secure assets, property, and income – or how the non-monied spouse can be sure they’re getting the property and support (alimony and/or child support) they’re entitled to receive. More
Divorce and the High-Net-Worth Client: Issues and Opportunities
During divorce, high-net-worth individuals should consider working with a financial professional who has significant experience with their kind of case. Learn about the issues and opportunities that you may come across during the divorce process that will affect your financial future. More