10 Things You Need to Know About Divorce
Faculty Member: Robert Stevens, Family Lawyer
Facilitator: Dan Couvrette, CEO and Publisher of Divorce Magazine and DivorcedMoms.com
Before you begin the divorce process, it’s important to understand the various issues you may face and steps you need to take. While not all divorces can be amicable, considering the 10 things discussed in this podcast will allow you to go through a more civilized process. More
Robert (Bob) Stevens has been a practicing family law attorney for more than 30 years. Bob has been a Fellow of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (AAML) since 1993, and he is president-elect of the AAML’s South Carolina Chapter. In addition to being an attorney, he is also a Certified Family Court Mediator and a Certified AAML Matrimonial Law Arbitrator.
This session will:
- discuss whether or not you should wait until the kids have left home to divorce
- outline reasons not to post details about your divorce on social media
- address what can make an amicable divorce turn ugly
- list the main issues couples fight about during the divorce process
- explain the qualities one should look for in an attorney
- examine the pros and cons of mediation, arbitration, and litigation
- advise viewers on how to plan for the divorce process and the steps to take before breaking the news to your spouse
- offer advice to ensure that your children aren’t badly affected by the divorce
- discuss how long a typical divorce process takes.